National: Uber Eats, the on-demand food delivery app has completed its first successful year of operations in India. Launched in Mumbai in May 2017, Uber Eats has grown its presence in India by expanding to 13 cities in India and adding more than 40 restaurants daily onto its platform. Uber Eats is now focussed on taking the service to tier 2 markets.
The platform is also experiencing nearly 50% month-on-month growth, in its first year of operations. It has more than doubled in terms of number of orders in the last 3 months. Uber Eats is currently present in 13 cities across the country viz., Mumbai, Gurgaon, Delhi, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chennai, Coimbatore, Vizag, Jaipur, Kochi, Pune and Chandigarh and is focused on expanding its footprint to additional tier 2 markets in the coming month.
“It has been an exciting journey for Uber Eats and we’re happy to celebrate this milestone today as we complete a year in India. We are confident to grow furthermore in the coming years. Today, India is a huge sea of opportunities for startups and new age businesses like Uber Eats. We thank all our restaurant and delivery partners, all our happy consumers and look forward to your continuous support.”, said Bhavik Rathod, Head of Uber Eats, India
He added, “Uber Eats has gained great momentum in India and is one of its fastest growing markets in the Asia Pacific region. We look forward to accelerating this growth further on and India has huge opportunities to offer. Increased aspirations, a land of millennials, sky rocketing number of consumers going online, and fast paced internet and mobile penetration – it is a perfect concoction for Uber Eats to invest in India and tap on smaller yet upcoming educational and business hubs. And that’s the next step for Uber Eats.”
Uber Eats Milestones:
- Launched in Mumbai in May 2017; India is the fastest growing market in APAC and has expanded to 13 cities in 12 months.
- Appointed Bhavik Rathod, as the Head of Uber Eats for India, one of the almost five years back
- Shiv Sagar, Chaayos, The Bohri Kitchen were some of the first restaurants that were on-boarded on the platform. Today there are over 12000 restaurant partners across the 13 cities in India
- Pooja Rani from Chandigarh was the first woman to join Uber Eats as a female delivery partner
What India Eats
This past year, Uber Eats has discovered some interesting food habits of Indians, let’s take a tasty trip down memory lane:
- Winner, winner Chicken dinner? Across north and the south and the diversity in between, Indians expressed one common dish that they just couldn’t resist – the Chicken biryani was the hot favourite dish amongst Indians was the most ordered item in India on Uber Eats
- Think you splurge way too much to fulfil your sugar cravings? Think again. An eater in Bangalore ordered ice-cream worth Rs. 11,341
- Keeping up with the ongoing cricket fever, 15th April 2018 was the hungriest day for all our Eaters in India as Uber Eats made the maximum trips in a single day.
- The most gigantic order delivered by Uber Eats was on 10th March 2018, when a consumer called for 143 pieces of Rawa masala dosa, taking our delivery services to newer heights